Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
User: kennyt
#1 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 5:15:28 PM(UTC)
Anyone has good scene for shure beta87a that you can share? I am not good at tuning; spent the last 2 days and still cannot get it to a good sound. Thanks.
User: Lạc_Quan
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 5:54:51 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: kennyt Go to Quoted Post
Anyone has good scene for shure beta87a that you can share? I am not good at tuning; spent the last 2 days and still cannot get it to a good sound. Thanks.

Bro. Kennyt,

8 years ago, I ran into the same situation, can't tuning it right.
I decided to train my ears by these steps ==> practicing 1 song per night, Singing, recording, playback, adjusting <== repeating those steps.
Eventually, you will train your ears if you are spending times for practicing daily.

Every user has a different room size entertainment, structure built, low/high ceiling, carpet or ceramic floor, furnitures, etc...

1 scene may sound good for few songs and it may not sound good for the other songs.
The same scene may sound good for 1 user and it is not sound good for your house or my house.

If we had trained our ears, then we can take the same scene, fine tune so it can be sound good for our house.

The best way is to train your ears, that way your ear will tell you which input/output fader, EQ, Compressor, FX are need to be fine tune. The more practicing, the better to balancing the sound system = Good sound quality.
Mixer: Behringer XR16
Mixer: Roland VS-2480 CD
Mixer: Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2
Monitor Speaker: Roland Power Speaker DS90A
Headphone: PreSonus HD7
Microphone: Wireless mic Sennheiser eW100 G2(old mic), cable mic e835, condenser mic Shure KSM32
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 8:11:55 PM(UTC)
Thank you anh LQ. Finally after hours and hours of reading, singing the same song, adjusting gate, compressor and EQ I got a clean voice. What I learn is the vocal preset for gate and compressor doesn’t work well with default parameters. Need to adjust the parameters which requires you to understand how they work. Next step is EQ which Is a bit tricky but there’s a basic set of frequencies that you can use as a base and tune it based on your voice. For example I need to cut everything from 144Hz down for my voice not to get muddy. Others only need to cut 80-120Hz. Once I have time I will post what I learned.
User: thanhle2999
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 5:55:59 AM(UTC)
Thank you anh LQ. Finally after hours and hours of reading, singing the same song, adjusting gate, compressor and EQ I got a clean voice. What I learn is the vocal preset for gate and compressor doesn’t work well with default parameters. Need to adjust the parameters which requires you to understand how they work. Next step is EQ which Is a bit tricky but there’s a basic set of frequencies that you can use as a base and tune it based on your voice. For example I need to cut everything from 144Hz down for my voice not to get muddy. Others only need to cut 80-120Hz. Once I have time I will post what I learned.

I'd suggest also looking at the frequency response of a particular microphone and see its freq roll offs (set by manufacturer)
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 8:56:11 AM(UTC)
1. Vocal Noise Gate preset
- default Threshold value is set at 44 which is a bit high in my mind, change it to something between 60 and 70.
- change Attack to 10ms (you want fast attack for vocal)
- turn on Filter button under Side Chain Filter

2. Vocal Compressor preset
- default Threshold value is set at 24, change it to 20 or 15
- default Ratio is set at 3, change it to 2 (if you have very strong voice set to 4 or 5)
- default Knee is set at 3, change it to 5 (you want soft knee for vocal)
- default Gain is set at 5, change it to 5.5 or 6 (7 if you have a soft voice but be careful of feedback if set too high)
- change Attack to 10ms
- turn on Filter button under Side Chain Filter

3. EQ for vocal
- before start keep these in mind: #1 cut first boost second, #2 never boost or cut more than 5dB
- Step 1: low cut
- Step 2: high shelf
- Step 3: the sweep
- Google for the frequency response of your microphone

Cont..
Important frequency bands when it comes to EQ'ing vocal:
100Hz - 300Hz: clarity/thin (cut these frequencies)
100Hz - 400Hz: thickness (muddy for some people)
100Hz - 600Hz: body/warmth
100Hz - 700Hz: muddy (good for cutting)
400Hz - 1,100Hz: honky/nasal sound
900Hz - 4,000Hz: intelligibility
1,000Hz - 8,000Hz: presence (I boost between 2,000Hz to 6,000Hz for my voice)
1,500Hz - 7,000Hz: sibilance (start in the 3,000Hz to 5,000Hz range)
2,000Hz - 9,000Hz: clarity (this is good for boosting)
5,000Hz - 15,000Hz: sparkle
10,000Hz - 20,000Hz: air/breath (good for boosting but not too much to add breath to the sound)

Step 1: Low Cut
- this is where you completely cut out the low frequency. Start at 80Hz and test your voice with no music to see if it's muddy (eg. not clear voice). If it's still muddy move the cut line up to 90Hz, 120Hz, etc. I have to cut mine at 140Hz to have a clear voice.

Step2: High Shelf
- this is where you boost high frequency band to add some air/breath to the sound. Start at 10,000Hz, change Qual value to 1 to widen the bandwidth and boost it between 1.5 and 3dB.

Step 3: The Sweep
- this is probably the most difficult step because you have to find the sweet frequency for your voice and boost the signal to have both clarity and presence. If your voice is already strong and clear then you want to narrow the bandwidth by changing Qual value to 3 and fine tune it. If your voice is soft and not so good like mine then change Qual value to 1 to adjust a wider frequency.
- sing without music and use your ears to judge and fine tune it. Start with a boost of 1.5 and move up to may be 3. If you need to boost more than 5dB then you probably need to increase mic gain under Input menu.
- Google the frequency response of your microphone and boost/cut to compensate the mic freq set by the manufacturer.
- For example, my Shure Beta87a has a boost up to 5dB between 7,000Hz and 9,000Hz so I don't want to boost it again in my mixer. I want to boost between 2,000Hz and 7,000Hz instead. And the mic frequency rolls off at 10,000Hz so I want to boost 2.5dB between 10,000Hz and 20,000Hz.
- click on RTA button which stands for Real Time Analysis to help you find the offending frequency. Spec button does the same thing but with color and different graphics.

EQ Mode drop down menu:
PEQ stands for parametric equalizer
VEQ stands for vintage equalizer
Lcut stands for low cut (for cutting low frequency)
Lshv stands for low shelf (for boosting low frequency)
Hshv stands for high shelf (for boosting high frequency)
Hcut stands for high cut (for cutting high frequency)

Qual value is used to set the width of frequency you want to adjust with 1 being the widest.

I only use PEQ and Hshv.

Here is the complete X Air series manual for XR12/16/18/Midas
https://drive.google.com...e5gfOOZtuU_1taRwznYuWKLV

Auto Mix - the auto mix function is used for meetings or panel discussions where multiple microphones are used for speech. It automatically attenuate the channels that are not receiving signal.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:41:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:37:48 PM(UTC)
I updated with more info on EQ. Will continue to share as I discover new things with this mixer.
User: ISAYGLD
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 5:03:57 PM(UTC)

You need to post a song in order for us to know what's wrong with you, your ears and your voice...
[lol] [lol] [lol]
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2020 6:29:34 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: ISAYGLD Go to Quoted Post
You need to post a song in order for us to know what's wrong with you, your ears and your voice...
[lol] [lol] [lol]

Everything is wrong [flapper]
User: newave
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2020 10:46:54 AM(UTC)
This is very confusing.
Cont..

what is range for clarity/thin, thickness, body/warmth,muddy (good for cutting), everything start from 100hz. [lol] [lol] [lol]
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 22, 2020 5:32:09 PM(UTC)
Originally Posted by: newave Go to Quoted Post
This is very confusing.
Cont..

what is range for clarity/thin, thickness, body/warmth,muddy (good for cutting), everything start from 100hz. [lol] [lol] [lol]

It depends on the person hence the range from 100Hz and up. Try it with your voice without music and use the RTA function to see where you need to cut or boost.