Click to visit TKaraoke home page.
Support TKaraoke by buying the Pro version.
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline AZNguy  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:56:59 PM(UTC)
AZNguy

Groups: Giám Khảo (Contest Judges), Advanced Members

Was thanked: 129 time(s) in 71 post(s)
In my search for the simple, small, cheap, AND good karaoke system, I came across these powered speakers (they already have amplifiers inside). The QSC K series seem to be at the top of the game for fitting most criteria, but they cost a lot. Therefore, I want to look at cheaper alternatives to see how they sound compared to the top contender. Here is what I found so far:

a) QSC K8:
-The K series seem to be extremely popular among DJs and KJs right now. They have clean high (treble), tight bass, sound very hi-fi. By "hi-fi", I mean the vocal comes out solid, strong, and clean. Heaviest of the three (27 lbs). Cost: $1,400/pair. My rating: 9/10

b) ElectroVoice ZXA1:
-These came up as the closest match to the QSC K8 in term of sound quality, appearance, and weight. They have clean high, tight bass, and almost as hi-fi as the QSC. Good thing about the ZXA1 is that you can put it on the floor (like a stage monitor) and the bass will sound almost identical to the QSC K8. I think it looks more discrete than the QSC. It's also much lighter at 19 lbs. However, I don't like its handle in the back because I can't put my hand all the way through to get a good grip. This might be annoying if you have to move your speakers around a lot. Also, these speakers have a white noise (hiss) (hum) that you can hear even when the XLR cables are not plugged in. This hum is not noticeable when there is music. When I compared them to QSC K8, the K8 was silent. Cost: $1,000/pair. My rating: 8/10

c) Behringer Eurolive B210D:
-These have boomy bass (not tight) and do not sound hi-fi; still sound very decent though. By "not sound hi-fi", I mean that the vocal comes out a bit noisy. It doesn't look as discreet as the EV or QSC. It weighs 19 lbs. I was very surprise with the sound when I hooked it up to a cheap small mixer (Alesis multimix 8fx) and cheap condensor microphone (Nady SPC-15). The sound quality of this low-price combination is better than I expected. The condensor mic helps the voice to sound more focused through these speakers. The Alesis Multimix 8fx mixer has very useable reverb to help blend the vocal into the karaoke music naturally. Cost: $400/pair. My rating for these speakers: 6.5/10.

These speakers were tested in a 20ft x 15ft x 15ft high living room.
These speakers were then tested with different mixers: Allen & Heath ZED10fx, Yamaha MG82CX, and Alesis Multimix 8FX. Results were similar across all 3 mixers. With that said, QSC K8 and Allen&Heath combo sounded best to my ears.

QSC and EV have good enough bass that you don't need an extra subwoofer for karaoke. The Behringer will do a lot better if you have a subwoofer. With that said, Behringer will sound decent for anyone who wants a karaoke system that costs < $500 and sounds good enough for occasional karaoke events. (I bought my Behringer for $200/pair on Craigslist.com; I was satisfied with my $300 karaoke system.) Don't worry about the wattage of these speakers; they're loud enough for small-to-medium rooms.

picture1
picture2

History of edit:
12/14/2012: Added "white noise (hiss) (hum)" to the EV ZXA1.

Edited by user Friday, December 14, 2012 6:46:56 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 6 users thanked AZNguy for this useful post.
jefft on 2/16/2012(UTC), DT2012 on 3/19/2012(UTC), bostonfx on 5/2/2012(UTC), karaokeViet on 5/30/2013(UTC), Ba Chéo on 5/30/2013(UTC), Hai Lúa on 11/28/2013(UTC)
Offline karaokeViet  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 9:02:42 AM(UTC)
karaokeViet

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi AZNguy,
I plan to use a single QSC K8 for vocal only to save money.
Do you think it will sound good if I connect mixer output L/R to this speaker?

I use my home theater receiver 110 w/c for other 6 tower speakers/400w max in digital mode for better music sound and gain.

Currently I have to use analog mode and feed the music signal to my mixer and the sound is not loud enough.

Are you able to compare K8 and yamaha DXR speakers?

Thanks
Offline AZNguy  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:39:56 PM(UTC)
AZNguy

I don't know how the overall mix will sound if you use a separate speaker just for the voice and use home theater setup for karaoke background. All I know is that the QSC K8 produces pretty hi-fi vocal sound for me.

So, go for it.
Offline karaokeViet  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:53:39 PM(UTC)
karaokeViet

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Originally Posted by: AZNguy Go to Quoted Post
I don't know how the overall mix will sound if you use a separate speaker just for the voice and use home theater setup for karaoke background. All I know is that the QSC K8 produces pretty hi-fi vocal sound for me.

So, go for it.

AZNguy,
Are you able to tell me why you choose K8 instead of K12 or K15?

Thanks
Offline AZNguy  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 01, 2013 2:51:05 PM(UTC)
AZNguy

Size. I don't want big speakers in my small house. Otherwise, I would have gotten the bigger speakers for better bass.